Saturday 2 August 2014

Time to keep a Level Head


Kookaburra Head Tracking
 
 
Brave Baby Burra
 
 
 
Soon after my hand feeding started, I made a discovery that blew me away.
I found I could wobble them, move them up, down, back, forth & their head never moves – it remained motionless. Regardless of what their body was doing, their head never moved. I found this amazing.
An example of evolutionary adaptation.
When looking up at them perched high up in the trees, with branches swaying, it is obvious to see why the modification.
What I didn’t know until I googled it, is that birds can’t move their eyes. Unlike us, when we move our head, our eyes move to stay focused (I love google). So Kookaburra need their head to remain stationary to stay focused.
This is called “Head Tracking”
In this slow motion vid of Bitey Burra, notice when landing his head never moves. It remains completely locked on his landing, even though his body & wings are going in all directions.
 
And, it’s not all birds that have this ability. Some species have it, others don’t.
Cats have this ability as well.
This vid is of Brave baby Burra sitting on my hand when it's moving.

kookaburra head tracking #2
Wikipedia has some interesting stuff on bird vision.

No comments:

Post a Comment