Saturday 16 January 2016

Kookas Enrichment Day


"Lord, why do you punish me so? When I said I'd like to be joined at the hips, this is NOT what I meant"
Lords reply, "What? Aren't I allowed a sense of humour. Bwahahaha"
My Sisters were up for the weekend, and is customary (& most times necessary) to serve Bacon & Eggs for brekkie the next morn.  I love visits from my Sisters and so do my Kookas, as it’s one of the few times I get to eat bacon. My Kookas get the rind - Bacon Snakes.
I would normally cut it up into mini bacon snakes, but decided today to leave them long so I could tie them to the table. I thought it would give them a bit of fun, and me some good photo ops.

I like to challenge them. I think they do to.

I think I was right on both counts.
Yeah Team! Someone's had a birthday.
Button was the first in. She always is. As soon as I start to lay the Tapas Bar, she lands on the fence because she knows what’s coming. Often I shoo her off because she wants to get in before the Camera's set up, as was the case this morning. Anyway I tied two Bacon Snakes to the table, laid some grapes & some prawn heads, and waited to see what happened.
Button returned and set straight into the Bacon Snake. Grabbing a beak full, she proceeded to play a game of Tug of War. The harder she pulled the tighter the knot got. She came to standstill.

How I love Bacon Snakes.

Come here my little treat.


She could pull no harder & yet the Bacon Snake wouldn’t move an inch.
It was dug in like a brown tick on a black dog.
All she could do was maintain the pressure & growl at it.
She then applied more pressure by flapping backwards.
Still to no avail.



I've got it this time.

Another approach was required, but what could it be? After trying Tug of War for a couple of minutes, she has a moment of genius.  “If I allow some slack, then throw myself backwards, that might break this Serpent from Hells back.  

I have your measure this time serpent.
Prepare to be bested.

Success, well sort of. It moved a bit. Each time she tried she got a little further. I couldn’t wait for that last jerk that was going to release the Bacon Snake from its vice like grip, and send her cartwheeling backwards off the table.  
I should have thought this out a bit more.
This is going to get embarrassing real soon.

FINALLY. She got her reward. But her method is flawed. It takes too long and invites the others to interject.
Expecting her to fly off with her quarry to smash it up. I was shocked to see her swallow it in one piece. I suppose that’s what they do with snakes.

Ha, I knew you'd give up your demon like purchase.
Eventually.

So how do you eat such a Devil Serpent.

Piece by ever lovin piece.

Aaaahhhhhhhh,
Think I could do another one of them

So, now there’s still one Bacon Snake left and she gets stuck into that. Her flawed method had consequences. Boss, who’d been sitting atop the tree behind, chuckling away, thought it was time for a lesson. Arriving, mid “Tug of War”, he lands with one foot squarely on the knot.

Looks like you have your beak full. I'll understand if you don't answer.
But let me give you a hand, Button.

Now look closely. One claw is over the Bacon Snake Button’s got a hold of, the other two however, dug into the knot & he grabs it ½ way along the Bacon Snake. A brief stare off with his daughter, while his claws dig deeper into the knot, then he took one step backwards & let gravity do its thing. Falling from the table, his claw severed the knot, the knot unravelled, the Bacon Snake broke where he had grabbed it, and he ended up with the lions share.
"I've been watching your progress Button. And it has one big flaw"
"Yeah. What's that Dad"

"You let me help.
I LOVE Bacon Snakes"

Now Bitey (Buttons older brother) had been watching intently. He goes to St Francis of Assisi Bird School and is the smart one.
“So the knot is the weak point” he thinks.
“Although Dad’s way worked, it still took too much time.” Bitey mused. He realised that if only the top part on the knot was pulled, the knot parted. Time to undo & eat was only seconds as opposed to minutes.


Could I apply Pythagoras’s theorem or maybe Fulcrums Law?
I need to study this closely.

By Jove, I think I've got it.

THE KNOT. The knot is always the weak point.

Well that's it for this post. I hope you enjoyed the read & photos.

See you all next post





No comments:

Post a Comment