Saturday 30 January 2016

Australia Day - the Kookaburra Way



I wanted to get an iconic Aussie photo to celebrate Australia Day.
What better than a Kookaburra & the Australian Flag.
I had a few ideas.
I set the flag on the veranda the arvo before for a practice run.

It was a bit windy and the flag spooked the guys when I called them in. But this was only a practice run to check Headley’s (the camera) position, angle & focus.

A few amendments to position & we’re ready for tomorrow.
All I need is fair weather, no wind & playful Kookaburras.
Well, I got all three.

Up early, I was greeted with Blue Skies, Calm conditions and 3 playful Kookaburras.
I wanted to get a photo of a Kookaburra flying in front of the flag.

So….
flag – set,
Camera – set,
bait - laid,
Coffee – set.
Let’s play ball.

He wanted to.
I wanted him to.
I needed him to fly in front of the flag to get his treat.
He needed to fly in front of the Flag to claim his treat.
A collaboration of sorts....
Seemed we both needed to give this more thought.
He couldn’t turn left because Headley was there.
I’ll admit he failed with grace. Realising he had nowhere to go he face planted the flag.
Then proceeded to slide down like a slippery dip. Sliding off the bottom he flew on his way feeling a little bemused.
He learnt from this.

Seemed we both needed to give this more thought.
He couldn’t turn right because Headley was there.
I’ll admit he failed with grace. Realising he had nowhere to go he face planted the flag.
Then proceeded to slide down like a slippery dip. Sliding off the bottom he flew on his way feeling a little bemused.
He learnt from this


OH...........


SHIT.......


WOOO HOOOOO...
That. Was. Fun.
Not knowing when the wind that was expected would arrive, I was keen to get on to my next idea.
For this I needed to coax Button to sit on the Flag.
He took to it like a Pro.

Setting the stage.
Last minute rehearsals,
Sound & Camera checked.
Lines gone over.
I think we're good to go live.

Quietly I whispered “I need you to show-off for me Button. Can you do that for me?”

I wasn’t prepared for the response.

He jumped on to the flag, and looked at me for approval.


"What a good Kooka you are Button.
Any chance for a profile shot?"
Like This?"

"What about a song" I asked.
"Songs I can do"

Hey True blue, is it me and you?
Is it mum and dad, is it a cockatoo?
Is it standing by your mate?
When he's in a fight or just Vegemite
True blue, I'm asking you




So, I had what I needed for the “Stand on Flag” photos and I couldn’t be more chuffed.
The wind wasn’t up yet, and I needed some more “Fly Bye” photos.
Again Button jumped at the opportunity.


"Look Headley. I think I came in a bit too low.
Stay loaded & I'll try again.


"What about this Headley?"
"You nailed it with that one Button"

After a couple of hours of fun, the wind came up. Time for a change of venue.
Now Kookaburras are an Aussie icon, but we have more than just Kookas.
I repositioned the Flag to the Tapas Bar to see if any of the other locals wanted their photo taken with the Flag.
A few did.

Reds neighbours had invited him over for a BBQ.
Being Nectar eaters they usually aren’t invited to these types of functions.
But Australia Day and all, he said he’d love to come.
“Good they said. Don’t bring a thing”
“Sweeet”..............
“I so need to take something. But what to bring?”
The solution was just down the reserve. Red knew the Tapas Bar was putting on a family day, and Chef would be there. He’d know what to take.
“What are your thoughts on this Red?” asked Chef.
“I was thinking a life size nectar jelly model of me…or…”
“May I suggest you grab a tender bit of steak instead? It’s not like you could take a box of Cadbury Favorites”
"Thanks Chef. Gotta fly"

From atop his lofty perch, Button spotted a new angle for Headley.
He yelled out “Here I come Headley, get a photo when I’m alongside the flag”
Button. Always looking to please.

"Keep rolling Headley" he said.
"I'll try & give you a good lift-off pose"
And pose he did.

Brad the Bowerbird was the next one wanting his photo taken.

If I'm having my photo taken in front of the flag,
I want to say something memorable.
Looking at the flag for inspiration, he turns slowly and says..........

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie. Oi, Oi, Oi.

Well that's how I celebrated Australia.
It will be hard to beat next year.



















No comments:

Post a Comment