Saturday 28 June 2014

Meet the family

Boss Burra

Boss Burra is my favourite. Boss is one of the breeding pair & the smartest of the lot.  It was thru his lead that all of this that follows, is possible. He was the first to; fly up to catch food, be hand fed, perch on my hand & be fed. I have a special bond with Boss. He will even accept a hug (although I’m not sure how much he enjoys that – I’ll let you be the judge of that).
These are the sort of vids I intend to post.
Often after feed time, he seems content just to sit next to my elbow, and enjoy the moment, as we look out over the view at dusk.
Kookaburra Feeding - Boss Burra#1                  

 
Bashful Burra


I believe this to be the Mate with Boss Barra. This one is much more timid & thus the name. A bit uncomfortable with the whole thing. She will land on the rail and be fed, but she flies off to eat. It’s the same with sitting on my hand to be fed. She is happy to sit there for a while with the promise of food, but once fed flies off to eat. And she is the least often to feed. I have a Spur tree opposite (where they all congregate), and quite often she will sit up top & just observe.




Bashful doing her thing video
Kookaburra Family - This one is called Bashful Burra 

       
Bitey Burra


This is last year’s fledgling. He was named for his ability to miss the food 90% of the time & bite my finger. To this day he still does it (although not as often). This one has a cheeky character. If I get distracted feeding another, he will try to pinch some food from the plate. I then took to laying a welding glove over the plate, and he still persists with trying to nudge it off.




Brave Baby Burra



One of this year’s fledglings (2). His name was obvious from the get go. So ready to do anything. I think he definitely has Boss Burra’s genes. He took to hand feeding straight away. Within a couple of weeks he was happy to perch on my hand while being hand fed, and now will also accept a hug. He is also happy to sit inside my elbow, which protects him from attack from his twin.




 
 
 
Bully Baby Burra

Boy, was this one different from the start. From fledgling stage he was aggressive to the rest. Most of the aggression was aimed at his sibling (Brave Baby), he copped the brunt of it. It wasn’t long until that aggression was shown to the others. He would even attack his parents. I think he has behaviour problems. When he attacks it’s not just beak jousting (normal). He grabs them from the neck, wing, whatever part he can get a hold of. Another vid I will post.  Yet he is the hardest to feed. Most timid, I’m not sure. On some occasions he will happily sit on my hand to be fed (only when he sees food), but most times not. He seems to have formed some sort of bond with Bitey. But even Bitey is not immune from his attacks, but when they fly up to the She Oak tree behind, most times he perches next to Bitey.

Bitey about to get a surprise from his little Sister

 

No comments:

Post a Comment