Monday 30 June 2014

Kookaburra Begging call

boss burra



Kookaburra have a number of calls they use (each with a specific purpose).

I hope to cover a number of these in future posts.

The first one I want to share is the most interesting.

The “Begging” Call (given by baby birds).

Now, we all easily recognise this call. It’s the same call all birds make. Whether a baby Penguin, or the flighty Swallow. The call is the same.

A persistent & very demanding call saying feed me now. Usually triggered when the parents return to the nest.

Ok - say we all know what I’m describing – yeah.

And it usually ceases within a few week of the baby leaving the nest. And with Brave Baby Burra & Bully Baby Burra it certainly did.

Now, this is the interesting bit………………..

The call attached, is being displayed by Boss Burra to me.

But it could have been any one of them (you can hear Bitey in the background – perched on the guttering above me). They all do this.

And they only do it to me. Not each other.

So they have changed their behaviour to suit their environment.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment