Saturday 25 June 2016

A Cantankerous Bunch



There has been a bit of action of late at the Tapas Bar. The Noisy Miners have been a real pain in the arse, hassling all that visit.
Well it got me thinking of who fights with who. So I started going thru old photos and that’s how I came up with the title.
It seems birds, and I mean all birds, are Cantankerous. And non-discriminate.
They are so much like us.  They fight between species. They fight between partners. They fight between siblings.
Neighbourhood Harmony.
It has however, given me many amusing & sometimes wow moments.
Here are but a few;


Brotherly Love

I'd thought I'd start with my family of Burras, because they are the least likely to fight, yet they do on occasion.
These are my gentle giants. They're big with an equally impressive beak, capable of eating a lot of the Tapas Bar visitors. And it’s for that reason they’re given their space.
But sometimes fuses are short between the siblings and, more rarely, another species gets in their space. With the other species it usually by mistake and they regret their mistake very quickly & retreat. That is except for Cedrick & Daphne the Lorries. They don’t take a backward step.
This is Button, last years fledgling.
Now her older sister Bully is supposed to feed her,
But has decided to eat all the treats instead.
Button's had enough & nails her.

Biting the Hand that feeds you.

Mr Kookaburra, I must warn you......
I'm a red belt in Keet Kung Foo.....
The opposite of my gentle giants are the Lorries. These guys really are pugilists. The true bullies of the Tapas Bar. They will take on all and sundry. Very few get over the top of a Lorrie. My Burras are probably only 50/50, maybe.

The others, well, they know they have taken on a mouthful.  
However, recently there has been a bird that has had enough of the Lorries attitude and decided to give a bit back. And a most unlikely bird at that. The Judge John Deed (a Crested Pigeon) has a novel way to deal with them. He bumps them off the Tapas Bar with his bum. It’s was a hoot to watch (check out the video at the end of this blog).

Brave Baby is about to regret landing at the Tapas Bar.
Daphne is no mood to share.

"YOU"
"What?"
"I DON'T LIKE YOU"
"Why?"
"IT'S YOUR LOOKS"
"But I look just like you?"

NOW YOU DON'T.........

Cedrick has small bird syndrome.
The bigger the bird, the bigger his heart.

Photographic evidence of Evolution.
12 months ago Cedrick's was kicking the Judges arse.

12 months later....
If you've got the rump.....
Then do the bump.....
Red & Little John, a pair of Red Wattlebirds that have been regulars since the get-go, are a strange pair. They’re either instigating or copping a flogging.  Like the Lorries, all are fair game, except for my Burra’s, them they leave alone. These guys are fairly predictable. Breeding time increases their aggression, and for good reason. They lay an egg. Unfortunately for the Wattlebirds, this is what some have been waiting for. Kit the Green Catbird LOVES a fresh egg for breakfast. Kath & Kym, a pair of Koels, fly down from New Guinea each year looking for a Foster Family to raise their chick. They will eat a Wattlebird egg and replace with one of their own for the Wattlebirds raise as their own.

When you're feeding a bub the size of Goliath
I can understand where the aggression comes from.
I'd be pissed too if I had to feed a kid like this.

So I can understand the aggression towards Catbirds & Koels, but they don’t like Brad the Satin Bowerbird as well. Although not known for eating eggs, Brad is related to Kit the Green Catbird. Both are Bowerbirds. So I think maybe they are eggs thieves. Certainly the Wattlebirds give him the same treatment as Kit.
Some fights they win, some they lose.
"You Don't Scare Me, Red"

"What about now"

The Saratoga Sleeper hold

"Want to try that again Red?, Go on I dare you"

Mistake! Big Mistake!
Huge!!

"How many times do I have to tell you I'm not a Catbird. I'm a Bowerbird"
"Just what I'd expect a Catbird to say."

NO!!!!!!!!

NOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Not... the... Saratoga... Sleeper... hold.........




































So I’ll end this post, as it started, with those bloody Miners.  For the last month they have been dreadful. The Wattlebirds are driven away on approach, as are the Bowerbirds. The Lorikeets have only just started to re-frequent the Tapas Bar, and the Miners have left them alone so far, but early days.
And they say birds can't fly upside down.

Mal the Noisy Miner is getting the name of.......

Saratoga's worst Mozzie.

I’m telling you Bitey. It’s got worse.
They’re giving everyone a hard
time. OK, almost everyone. They’re scared shitless of you guys.
They are even harassing the Judge over there & he doesn’t suffer fools gladly.
So we came up with a plan.
You eat them. Start with Mal. Make it look like an accident. You accidently tripped as you flew in and as you yelled your warning to Mal, that Noisiest of Miners, he jumps up straight into your mouth, like that Jonah & the Whale story.
The Judge said he would see that as “Death by Misadventure” even if it takes 10 or
20 smacks to get him down.

Thanks for getting so far. Here a few videos to send you off with a smile. See you next time.

Crested Pigeon disco dancing






































No comments:

Post a Comment