Sunday 4 January 2015

Happy New Year part 1

Button


And what a cracker it’s been so far.

I spent Xmas at a mates place down the coast, along with his wife (Val) & 12yr old son (Miles), and a niece of Val’s, Joanne & her 3 kids, Nicholas, William & Bella (7, 5 & 3yr olds). Ian’s place backs onto the bush, and the wild life…well let me tell you. Kangaroos daily, and stacks of birds. And all of them friendly.
With so many kids, BBQ’s were the go. With so many kids, well you can imagine the spillage. One man’s trash is another man’s……

Most mornings saw me up at 6.30’ish. Sitting at the table in the back yard, I was amazed at how friendly the birds were. 1st morn I had a Wattle Bird landed on the BBQ next to the table and just check me out.

 
At 7.30 the kids would wake, and at 7.31 the birds would leave as bedlam ensued.
The kids were put down about 8pm. 8.01 the birds arrived.
On the 2nd night, Mr Wattle Bird introduced me to his youngster. While he sat on the BBQ his bub landed on the table next to me & scoped me out.


proud dad keeping a watchful eye on Junior
Junior checking me out
I also had visits from a Lorrie (Cedrick's cousin), a Maggie with her kids, Kookas, Bower birds etc.
Cedrick's cousin Cecile.
Out with Ian Xmas Eve, I noticed a Terrapin (tortoise) in the middle of the highway. I thought I'd grab it for the kids. I pulled over just as a truck clipped it. Sent it skittering up the road 30m. Anyway it appeared to be OK, so rescued & back to the kids. They were stoked for about 15 mins. The next morning he was set free.

Timmy at a run, on the run.
Timmy..Timmy..where are you?
Time to head back home. I was surprised by the reception I got. The bloody cats hadn’t even noticed I’d been away. When I went out on the veranda, my other family arrived on mass. And boy were they excited to see me (cats – take note of this).


there's a smile that goes ear to ear

Even Cedrick popped in to say G’day.

G'day
But my biggest surprise was yet to come. After giving the family a quick feed, mum flew off only to return a minute later with this year’s bub. At 1st sight I thought she was as cute as a button. And with that a name was born.
Let me introduce you all to Button Burra.


The next arvo, all returned to my back fence including Button. While feeding them I heard a baby call, from next door, and perched on their veranda was another chick. What was interesting here was that the others ignored him and continued to feed Button.
Boof

The next day both fledglings arrived on my back fence. I noticed the 2nd had a head that needed growing into (a bit like a puppy with big paws). I thought “what a boof head he has”.

So let me introduce to Boof Burra





Sadly they are the only photos of Boof. I haven’t seen (or heard) him since.
Boof
that's Boof on the left
















This is too big for one post, so I will split this in 2.

Check out Part 2 for the interaction between Button & the others.

No comments:

Post a Comment